During this time of unknown there is understandably a lot of apprehension and we have no idea what this will ultimately look like. That being said, I encourage us all to show unity and love towards one another.
There have been many videos circulating of people being driven by fear, acting a out of character and displaying behaviour that can only be described as divisive, prejudiced and self serving.
I get it, we all want to make sure that we are ok and our family is good. But where is the love for each other?
If I fill my shopping cart with all of the cases of water and toilet rolls and someone asks me to have one. Why would I say no? I have more than I need so why wouldn’t I share. This pandemic is happening, but why do you have to become the worst version of yourself in the process, how does help you?
Your mental state influences your physical health. There is irrefutable evidence to show that positive thinking can make you healthier.
Let’s not compromise our immunity with anger, stress and hate. Now is the time to show up and be the change you want to see.
My goal is and always will be to promote Health and Wellness no matter what circumstances arise.
So here are 9 tips that you can implement into your day that will improve the functionality of your immune system. I encourage you to implement these tips NOW:
1. ELIMINATE AND STOP ACTING OUT OF FEAR Fear sends a signal to the brain that tells it that something poses a threat. The brain of course responds by activating the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and autonomic nervous system. After a prolonged period of this activation, alterations to the HPA can create immune system dysfunction, endocrine system dysfunction, sleep/wake cycle disruption, eating disorders.
2. HYDRATE Drink water! If the taste of water bores you, add some lemon slices to your water, or flavour with any fruit of your choosing. You should aim for at least 2 litres of water a day as a minimum. Eating more water rich foods like fruits and vegetable is a n easy way to hydrate. Also avoiding dehydrating drinks like coffee, black teas and carbonated drinks, as well as being mindful about consuming any excess sodium in the form of canned and packaged foods where salt is used to preserve it. My recommendation is to opt for fresh or frozen options (read the labels).
3. BREATHING EXERCISES I know you breath everyday, but are you actively aware of how you breath? Controlled breathing lowers cortisol levels, blood pressure, arterial blood flow, autonomic response, mental stress, produces lower amounts of several proteins associated with inflammation, and higher levels of an inflammation-fighting protein called interleukin-10
Scientific studies have proven that regular breathing exercises boost your immune cells that combat cancer progression. A study from 2005 looked at the Natural Killer cells (T and B cells) and found that controlled rhythmic breathing exercises increased NK cells over a period of months.
4. POSTURE Think for a minute about watching TV on your coach or chair, are you typically slouched? Or driving to work, are your shoulders hunched? What about when sitting in your car, did you know that your posture is shortening one of our fight or flight muscles, the hip flexor. Everyday in some way we inhibit our bodies ability to access our major breathing muscle, the diaphragm by our lack of good posture.
How about we make an effort to activate our diaphragm and breathe as nature intended as another way to strengthen our immunity?
5. CONSUME FRESH RIPE RAW FRUITS AND VEGGIES Good Nutrition is essential for an effective immune system! Your aim should be to get the most nutrients on every fork full of food that you consume. Fresh ripe raw fruits and vegetable are rich in anti-oxidants, anti-cancerous properties, vitamins, minerals, amino acids (which are the building blocks of life), macronutrients, micronutrients, prebiotic, probiotic, phytonutrients. They neutralize free radicals and are paramount in regulating the immune system and ensuring protection against infections and illness.
Absorbing the nutrients is for me the most important part of consuming delicious fruits and vegetables and the easiest and fastest way for me to achieve this is when I take solid food breaks and consume only fruit and vegetable juices. Juicing increases the amount of raw produce we can consume at one time and supplies more energy to our cells effortlessly, which in turn stimulates our immune system and aids the body’s natural cleansing process, while giving our digestive system a much needed rest.
6. EXERCISE Exercise has a critical role in strengthening your immunity. It flushes bacteria out of the lungs and airways. It also helps to flush out the toxins from your body by pumping your lymphatic system.
If you aren’t regularly exercising, your lymphatic (immune system) will be stagnant, meaning poor circulation which results in inflammation and creates an acidic internal environment perfect and welcoming for a host of illnesses.
7. REST/ SLEEP As I mentioned before your Natural Killer white blood cells are crucial to optimum health. If you are losing sleep over what will happen as a result of the current pandemic, may I encourage you to breath and get some rest.
When you are sleep deprived your NK T cells become less efficient at killing off pathogens, viruses and infections, and if they are not fighting for you then you are pretty much open to any and everything that comes your way.
8. RAISE YOUR VIBRATIONS There are ways to raise your vibration that will improve your immunity.
Become conscious of your thoughts, what you think and say.
Create a gratitude Journal, write down daily all that you have to be grateful for
Watch a comedy, do something you enjoy or speak with a friend that makes you laugh
Create a vision board and visualize what you want your future to look like
9. NATURAL THERAPIES TO SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Bio Resonance Rife Therapy
Lymphatic Drainage Massage